SandyQ

Lord Peter Views the Body
Dorothy L. Sayers
One Summer: America, 1927
Bill Bryson
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia - Elizabeth Gilbert I have to echo so many of the other comments I've read here - I'm not sure I have ever read a book by such a self-absorbed, self-righteous person.

In Italy, as she kept congratulating herself on devoting herself to pleasure, I found it interesting that she morphed from "I am from a puritan family where nobody can ever just 'do nothing'," to "Americans don't know how to have fun." She can't relax and have fun, so nobody in America can. And, apparently, everyone in America was shocked, simply shocked, that she was going off to Italy to study Italian, just because she wanted to! Wow - I don't think I was asked to participate in that poll............ Nor do I recall the poll of "all Americans" that convinced her that everyone in America works really hard and that's all they want to do (as opposed to Romans, who work hard but don't like it..........)

And, then, I remembered how she told us right at the beginning that the reason she could do this was because she had a book contract to do this and write a book about it - hey, way to get gutsy and bold and just go for pleasure!

That said, some of the experiences were interesting, which brought this up to 2 stars.