SandyQ

Lord Peter Views the Body
Dorothy L. Sayers
One Summer: America, 1927
Bill Bryson
The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls I was completely wrapped up in this while I was reading it. I have enough experience with dysfunctional families that a lot of it rang really true - especially the narrator's hero worship of her dad and inability to really blame him for anything.

I think it's great that she was able to see her upbringing without the apparent bitterness and anger that would have been so easy to express in this book. At the same time, by the end, I was getting tired of the apparent attitude that her parents were not to blame for anything because they were just doing what they did (again, especially wonderful dad, who always loved her, and on and on) - while, at the same time, castigating herself for letting down her youngest sister and not spending enough time taking care of her.

I understand that it's easier to forgive others than oneself, but by the end of the book, I was starting to get annoyed at the author, instead of admiring her for getting beyond her horrendous upbringing.